Re: [DML] Amplifiers.

The necessity of high power amps?   It will help with to get the best optimal
sound reproduction.   You may never need, but IT WILL BE THERE IF YOU DO.   A
good way to compare a basic in dash set up without a high power amp will be
like our standard PVR engine in our DeLorean.   Having an amp is like having a
turbo installed on the PVR..... It just helps make a difference when you need
it.    I am sure that if some of you have the extra cash to get a high power
amp installed, you will find a difference.   The extra power will help play the
system louder that will help override the engine noise, the road noise, the
tire noise and etc.

As we all know, in the DeLorean, the cabin's layout is small and it is
terrible for sound reproduction.   The original speakers placements are at it are
worst and it doesn't help in the sound reproduction and I do find all of these
issues altering the sound frequencies.   There are frequencies are in
cancellation or reinforcement that is altering the intended reproduced frequencies.
This is where an understanding of physics takes over, and there is a lot of
physics involved and I will not get involved in this area.    Anyway, an
"equalizer" will help correct some of these frequencies and the discrepancies.

At this point I would like to share some of my findings and experiences with
my DeLorean.   In the last nine years of ownership, I had four different power
amps in my DeLorean.   At the present for the last two and a half years in my
DeLorean, I have a solid state (transistor) amplifier, the "Sinfoni 120.4X"
amp.    This is the one of few amps that is transistor type and will fit in the
DeLorean without it being notice or obtrusive.... It is too bad that the amp
is hidden for it is a real beautiful made amp.   A work of art!   See their
site:   http://www.sinfoni.com/eng/start.html

This Sinfoni amp has the output of 95/135 (REAL) watts per channel by four
channels.   It is the highest output on the market in a single chassis.     It
will play from the softest to the loudest without any distortion from the
amp....Only distortions is from the speakers being over worked and heated up when
playing "rock & oldies."   When I listen to classical and jazz, it has details
with impact and it is clean!

For what I really want in my DeLorean is the Butler Amp that is a tube
design.   See:
http://hometheater.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.butleraudi
o.com

This is a real high quality sonic amplifier like the Sinfoni or better in
some of the sonic areas.   It is so good the many of the famous rock
contemporaries, jazz and classical musicians have them in their vehicles.   The problem is
that the tubes run hot and convection for cooling is a must and the DeLorean
has no place to mount it, unless you will are willing to mount it in the cabin
and exposing it to prying eyes.

Anyway, both of these amps are not cheap and they are just two of the best
out of a handful of high quality amps that are available in the world of the
automotive high-end "audiophile" equipment.

Please keep in mind; I said sound reproduction and NOT SOUND REINFORCEMENT.
The difference is that sound reproduction is producing the original sound
that was being played and recorded with the details, harmonics, timbre,
placement, depth, warmth and etc., all intact.   Sound reinforcement is just LOUD ear
shattering and bursting noise with little no appealing qualities as normal
"music by the instruments or voices."

>From the teachings of several high-end audio engineers and manufactures: "If
your sound system can reproduce a 'cello,' then your system is correct."

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY