Re: [DML] Amplifiers.

In a message dated 7/14/2005 7:57:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,
heskin@xxxxxxxxx writes:

That's a  great explanation, thanks.. but I've got to believe, based on
the actual  volume of the Delorean cabin (very small), that after a
certain point (i.e.  number of watts of output),  that it just doesn't
matter - the volume  would be deafening before you actually "heard" a
difference with more  watts.   (diminishing returns, if you will).  So,
for  argument sake, suppose you have a great head unit that puts out 20
watts  per channel.  Is a 70 watt stereo *inside a Delorean* really
going to  sound better at the same tolerable volume?  From your
explanation, the  wattage ratings (assuming similar component quality
and build) only matters  at very high volume, which makes perfect
sense... but listening to 70 watts  inside the car has got to be beyond
ear-damage level, no matter the type of  music one is listening to.

Good question Hank.

I think I would respond by saying that a quality external amplifier, for  the
many reasons I listed prior, will result in a cleaner reproduction of
whatever you are listening to at any volume. The DeLorean isn't that quiet  of a car
on the open road, and you may be surprised how loud your music has to  be for
you to be able to hear it well above the din of the car.  Your  stereo is
louder than you think on the interstate!  In these cases, even in  a small car,
an amplifier is necessary IF you enjoy music as much as myself and  others on
the list do.

Andy