From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Soma576@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:32 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] "Professional" Mechanics

In a message dated 7/13/2005 9:54:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Sir, I  have two lugnuts on my DeLorean that have become too tight
for me to break  loose. Can you put your impact gun on them for
me? "Sure" he says. The guy  spins them loose and promptly
overtightens them with the pneumatic impact  gun. I now have one
stripped lugnut that I can't get  off.

Everyone always says the pneumatic impact gun is the most evil thing on
earth for wheels.  That's because no one understands it.  no one ever  puts
wheel on with full strength on the gun.  You buy these things called  torque

sticks which are made of spun steel.  They attach on the end of the  gun and
each
one is a different value for differing wheel torque amounts. In  fact there
is
a yellow one which is 65 lbs - perfect for DeLorean wheels.   If you use
these, you put the impact on full tilt, attach the stick, put it on  the
lugnut,
and hammer it home. the stick absorbs the extra torque, making each  lugnut
the
proper tightness.

So, when you see someone 'hammering the crap out of it with an impact',
chances are he's using a torque stick and is doing no more damage than a
manual
torque wrench.

They are accurate too - i've verified it with a manual wrench.

Andy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
Yahoo! Groups Links