[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association

Sometime around 1996, I got to be quite interested in buying a
DeLorean. Well, actually, obsessed would be a more correct word. In
that time, I had planned on not only getting the car, but believed
that joining the DOA was to be high priority as well. And later on
down the road is where trouble began to start. In the past, I've had
many run-ins with DOA board-members, mostly through e-mail. Such as
when I was told that if I was not happy with the state of the DOA,
that I could come down to the Peterson museum, and voice my complaints
directly to the directors. In fact, I was told that if bought the
airplane ticket, he'd pick me up at the airport. I told him that
wasn't necessary, and that I could be in Los Angeles in 3 hours
driving time, since I only lived in Las Vegas. He never responded to
any of my e-mails after that. I've been chased off property by a
current director, when I arrived one evening at her shop out in
Chatsworth. And a couple years ago, I got into a pretty serious flame
war off-list with a *new* member from the DOA. This "young blood"
member of the DOA, who was supposed to show that the DOA was
"in-touch" with younger owners, such as myself. Nothing changed there.

Now it's been said that we should overlook these previous experiences,
and move on. What's in the past will remain there, and isn't the
future. I'm very keen on progressive thinking and moving forward.
Holding a grudge is not something that I want. But I can tell all of
you right now with full confidence that not a damn thing has changed
with the DOA. So in an effort of putting the past behind us all, let
me please share with you a RECENT run-in with the "NEW" DOA!

Now I don't really know all that much about the past history of my
car, save it spending all of it's previous life in Cali, and a flyer
from a long defunct DeLorean garage. The California DMV has told me
that it'll cost $20 per year, to obtain microfiche copies of my car's
registration, to see who all has owned it. Fine. But in the mean time,
I decided to try and contact the DOA. I too had heard that they had
changed, and figured that this would be a great opportunity to mend
some fences of my own. And as you can guess, that didn't happen.

2 months ago I rang the DOA up, to enquire if perhaps they had any
history on my car. Maybe the previous owner(s) were DOA members, and
that could help me track them down. So I called them up. The told me
that he didn't have any information on my VIN, other that what was
harvested off my DML posts. Not a problem. After all it was a
longshot. So I decide to chat the guy up a bit, and get a feel for
him.  Especially since I have been told that this person in particular
had a good reputation as a friendly person, who's always been willing
to help out other DeLorean owners. I stated that I had purchased the
car, and was unsure if it was a one owner car or not, so that
curiosity, and the fact that I was looking to put together a portfolio
on my car were motivating factors. Pretty much what I've already
stated above. He then proceeded to tell me that I was a "...gullible
young man...", and that "Car salesmen will tell you anything to make
you feel better about the car." I told him that might be true, but
that I've owned this car for 5 years, and have infact been very happy
with it ever since. I don't regret buying it. And in fact, I purchased
the car when it was on consignment @ a DeLorean service center (it was
an estate sale or something, and they didn't want any contact with the
buyer(s). Strange people to say the least). This guy just snorted a
"Hrrumph!" at me, and proceeded to end the call. Which I was more than
happy to do as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I honestly do appreciate the guy taking the
time there to help me out. But at what cost to both of us? I got
insulted, and he lost a potential member.

So in my recent observation, no, the DOA hasn't changed a bit. Sure
the collection of older magazines would be nice, but they'll always
come round for sale on eBay. So I have another option of getting them
somehow. Not that they are exactly a priority on any level. And no,
this isn't a new offer per se. The DOA has been offering an entire
catalogue of past magazines for sale, since at least 1997, according
to www.archive.org It's just that they've changed the price, and the
membership length around now.

I agree wholeheartedly with James Espy here. The DOA has served it's
purpose, and it's time to move on. They offer a magazine that has
almost nothing to do with the DeLorean car, and is targeted towards
the "lifestyle" that DeLorean owners are presumed by the DOA directors
to live. They've not hosted any events in two years, according to
their website. Their magazines are devoid of decent tech articles, and
put me to sleep with their reviews of trips that do not peak my
interest, from places I have no desire to go to. Now I know that
everyone's opinion is their own, and that's true. But for a magazine
that trying to appeal to people like me, it's not hitting it's mark at
all.

If they want to show us an act of goodwill, then turn the database of
VIN/Locations over to Knut Grimsrud, so that we can complete the
database. That would truly be an act of generosity, as something that
would benefit us all, if not perhaps change my mind. Otherwise, in my
opinion, if the DOA is to survive at all, then it needs to remain
where it is right now. And that is a Southern California club. I will
recognize the DOA as a regional club, but never the premier, or main
one. I will happily co-exist on a equal plane, but will not submit to
anyone, or organization as being the one "in charge" of things. Go
play "14th floor" with someone else.

And as I've said before, not a single thing has changed at the DOA,
and likely never will. I myself have come to realize that there is no
one specific person who's responsible for all this. It's not even a
specific group of people that's causing this. It's the mentality that
no one will let die. No matter who comes along, they'll always be the
same as the person before whom they replaced. Even in some of these
last posts, Tony refused to acknowledge Ken K.'s car show, as THE
DeLorean even that has replaced the expos. All he would say, is that
some have attended. No commitment to reports on it in future articles
at all. Will there even be anything about the DMCH Open House & the
Concourse event?

Even if you're not responsible for the past acts of other leaders
before you, Tony, how about a public apology for the lawsuit against
James Espy, on behalf of the DOA? After all, it was *Your* club in
which you proudly take an active roll in, that tried to take this list
away from people like me.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"