[DML] Re: DOA comments

Bryan,

 A couple of thoughts about your couple of thoughts:

>Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:15:04 -0500
>   From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Re: DOA

>Marty,
>A couple of thoughts on your posting below:

>>On Jun 22, 2005, at 6:32 PM, wingd2@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>  I hope you are right on this, <SNIP>

>I am not trying to be right or wrong about the current DOA.  My statement was that nothing can be served by looking back at the problems of the past.  The DeLorean community is too small to have fighting between various owners.  How can we expect the DeLorean car and dream to last into the future without a positive dialog between ALL owners.

  Bryan, I understand and respect your comments and thoughts. And I too, am not trying to judge the current DOA based on the past. We will have to see how the "new" group operates and what, if anything, it has to offer to the Delorean community as a whole. And I am not trying to pick a fight with the DOA or anyone else on this matter. What I am saying tho is I do not think we can just forget the past, as you suggest. I think there are lessons to be learned by everyone, no matter how involved or uninvolved they were with this in the past. And from these past lessons I hope better decisions will be made to improve the future between all the Delorean communities.

>>   Now I'm not a current DOA member and as such have no facts to back any of this up. Of course, in the past being a DOA member did you no good in trying to look at the books anyway, so their finances have always been speculation, but..... <SNIP>

>You specifically mention the books.  When I was a member, I remember that on a yearly basis a balance sheet was published of the club's condition.  I have not taken a look at back issues of DeLorean World to see if it was in the magazine or a newsletter.

  Bryan, If this information exists then that's news to me. During the time I was a DOA member, I do not recall ever seeing a balance sheet being published anywhere, and specifically recall being told once by a DOA board member at one of the EXPO's that the clubs finances were no concern of mine and I had no right to see them. I found this a very interesting response, especially from someone who was supposed to be operating a "non-profit" organization. And I'm
not talking just about bottom lines here, I'm sure the DOA has operated within the guidelines laid out by the government in these regards. What I'm talking about is income and expense records, so any DOA member could tell who, if anyone, is deriving benefit from the club.  I think you brought up a very good point, maybe the DOA should start publishing this information every year in their magazine for all members to see. Maybe this is something for the "new" DOA to
look at.

>> And I find it very interesting that they have decided to utilize their arch rival, the "DML" to try and promote their own organization. Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice..........

>You make it sound like the entire DOA was responsible for the abrasive relationship of the past.  However, this situation was caused by a select few people with large voices.

  Bryan, If I am making it sound like the entire DOA was responsible, then I apologize to it's membership. I fully realize most DOA members have very little, if any, say in the operation of the organization. And I agree, the problems in the past seemed to be caused by a select few. The unfortunate part is these select few also happened to be steering the boat, so to speak.

>The financial commitment to the DOA for a three year membership and all back issues of DeLorean World is relatively small.  Three years as a member of the New DOA is sufficient time to find out what kind of club the DOA will become.

>Bryan Pearce
>Pearce Design Components

  Bryan, I also agree the financial commitment they are asking new members for is small, and I agree that whatever DOA member came up with the idea of offering all the back issues as part of a 3 year membership hit a marketing home run. (altho you need to read the fine print on this offer. It does not say ALL back issues, it only says back issues) I just wonder what all the current DOA members who paid twice as much for the same back issues now think. Do you think maybe the DOA will give them a refund or maybe extend their memberships. This shows me that once again the DOA is not thinking about their current membership, only ways to try and increase membership and thus generate income. And somehow this all sounds familiar to me, like something from the past ???

  Just some of my thoughts on your thoughts.

   Marty Maier