[DML] Door Lock Removal

I did look this up in the archives and found some results, however I still seem to be having some issues removing the early style door lock from the door.  I also could not find any procedure in the manuals.  I'm removing it because it almost looks like the PO used the wrong key a few times and completely destroyed the tracks the key rides on when inserted into the lock.  Does this sound like something a competent locksmith could rebuild?  I'm not too excited about $200 for new locks, and the passenger side is fine.

Also while I had the door apart I noticed the only use for the door solenoids and the whole electric locking system is to lock both sides of the car with one turn of the key.  If this is right I don't see why people haven't just removed the whole electric locking system that has so many problems around it as it is and make it purely mechanical.  Granted you would have to walk all the way to the other side of the car and lock that side too, or better yet lock it from the inside before you get out.  If that's the price I have to pay to rid of the system that kills your battery and burns the solenoids to the point where you are stuck in (or out) of your car, I'll gladly take it.  Then you could also remove the heavy solenoids from the door and relieve some tension from the torsion bars to help prolong the life of the bars, struts, roof structure, etc.  Any thoughts?  If this has come up before I apologize for the repetition.

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont