[DML] Auto Trans behavior

After a couple of weeks off (Houston and family stuff) I'm back to diagnosing the auto trans in my project car. As David T advised, I acquired an oil pressure gauge and hooked it up. Service manual spec is 8 bar (113 PSI) with the vacuum hose disconnected and in drive at 2500 RPM.

The torque converter noise is still gone (as you remember last time, I swapped torque converters with another trans and after about 5 minutes of running it cleared up. Still a bit of a mystery, but as long as the noise is gone I'm happy). I've also exchanged the leaky and possibly blocked cooling pipe.

Currently the pressure reading is 125  PSI, or about 8.8 bar in gear at 2500 RPM. Temperature did not seem to make much difference. (In park/reverse/neutral it's more like 180 psi.) So here are the questions:
--Is this very high pressure in Park normal?
--I can obviously adjust the pressure down to where it should be - how normal is this to have to do?
--I have the computer governor completely disconnected at the moment. It seems to me that the trans should operate as a "manual" i.e. if you put the lever in 1, it stays in one. As it is, if I put the shifter in 1 or 2 its in 2, if I move it to "d" its in 3rd. I can't seem to get it to find first gear. Again, the governor is disconnected, so both shift solenoids are un-powered and out of the equation. As far as the electrics are concerned, it's in third gear.
--I've checked the linkage adjustment and I'm sure the shifter is aligned with the trans, in fact I have to hold it forward a bit to hit the "start" switch so I'm sure it's going in to first when it says it is.

Am I missing something? Still a blob of goo somewhere in the trans? Is the slightly high line pressure screwing with things?

Thanks ---

Dave Swingle