Re: [DML] getting ready to buy a Delorean need help

Re: [DML] getting ready to buy a Delorean need help

Well Terence,

It depends on how much tangible evidence there is to
the car.  Are there receipts for work done?  Is there
any kind of documentation or pictures of work done or
upkeep kept up?  Has it been driven AT ALL for the
last couple of years or just stored ?  If it was
stored the whole time, you could be looking at forking
out some good money (anywhere from $500 - $5000) to
get things overhauled - fuel system, eletrical system,
brakes, seals, O-rings, etc.  If this car sat, things
may have dried up to the point of being brittle, than
when the car gets started and things begin to move
again, fluids may soak these seals and they may not
hold...oil, coolant, possibly transmission seals, etc.
 The electrical system would need to be attended to,
primarily the fuses, relays, and the cooling fan
relay.  All of this could hit you before you even get
to drive it.

Then again, you may get a great little car.  May just
need to flush the stagnant (if any was left in the
tank) fuel out of the car, replace the fuses and -
boom - daily driver.  It's just really hard to say
"It'll be path A or path B" on something like this.  I
guess it also depends on what you're going to use this
car for - daily driver or Sunday drive car?  If daily
- get one that's been driven - not stored.  If weekend
car, have a fun time bringing it back up to speed and
getting to learn alot about a mysterious little car
(at least to the general public that is).

I would look for any signs that shows the car has been
kept up, and I'm not talking receipts from 1988.  I'm
talking pictures and specifically - DeLorean vendor
invoices/receipts showing parts bought within at least
the last 5 years.  If he has DeLorean vendor receipts,
call that particular vendor(s), have the VIN # ready,
and ask them about it.  They may be able to provide
you information that will make or break (and save your
butt) your decision on that particular car.

Or you may be wanting a restoration project to enjoy
at your own pace.  Heh, that's what I had.  Thought I
had a daily driver - wrong.  That's the last time I
take people's word - EVER.  Paid 10k for the car,
maybe another 12-18k in parts/misc items/tools/etc (I
stopped counting after 12k; it started to get
depressing) to get it to where I could drive it and
enjoy it.  I wanted a daily; I got a restoration.  In
retrospect, that was the best way it could have gone.
I got the car I want, made some great lifelong friends
(fellow DMC owners), and know more about my car than
anyone else in the state of Florida (draw a line of
delination up to DMC-Florida). Ok...MY side of that
line I know more ;).

Best of luck on your decision - hope to see you living
the dream soon!  If anything is on the Internet about
it, give the info to us - we may be able to help you.

Jeremiah

--- "Terence M. Frewen" <terryfrewen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am getting ready to make an offer on a
Delorean....