[DML] Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help

[DML] Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help

You will get alot of answers but the bottom line is your ability to
fix things and the condition of the important parts of the car.
Start with the frame and make sure there is no or little rust. ALso
look at the front extension to see its condition. If the owner will
let you drive it listen to the engine after it warms up. It should
idle pretty smooth after 3-4 minutes.

If you drive it see how the transmision feels. You dont realize
until you restore/repair a car how many parts ther are too possibly
replace. 3 years later and I still have parts boxes arriving on my
porch. When I help other potential owners I can usually tell in the
first few minutes how the car is taken care of. Look at things like
the seat belt bolts and other metal parts of the car. Do they look
worn? Rust? I have helped two loal onwers bring thericars back to
good condition and they are both well over $5k in repairs so make
sure you have money put aside for repairs/saftey improvements.

When you look at the engine compartment does everything look clean
or worn out? Delorean engines can look pretty nasty if they are not
well maintained. However, none of this can not reveal any hidden
problems. A ten minute test drive should reveal alot about the
health of the car....how does it idle, accelerate, brake and shift.

My best advice is to ask a local owner in your area to come look at
the car. It could save you from making a big mistake or give you the
confidence to make the right decison...Just post your location and
usually someone can inspect the car for you. My fee is usually a
Wendy's frostee :-)

So its hard to give you the answerr but it does seem prices are
going up and I have seen some bad cars sell for $10k. So the right
price is a moving target based on your abilities, tools ,list of
repairs and most importantly the tolerance of your wife to let you
spend the next year or so holed up in your garage ....

Good luck
Mike C
2109