[DML] Re: Otterstat (WAS Shade Tree Mechanic )

[DML] Re: Otterstat (WAS Shade Tree Mechanic )

Robert - The otterstat is located in a coolant pipe on the drivers
side of the engine, just forward of the catalytic converter.  It has
two wires connected to it, and is either pointed up or down,
depending on the VIN.  It is held in place with a little spring
clip.  While these are known to fail, have you checked the other
components in the circuit, such as the fan circuit breaker, the fan
relay, and the fan fail module (if still installed)?  Have you
purchased a shop manual yet?  You might as well get that over with,
because you will need it over the long run.

You can test the system to see if the otterstat is indeed the
problem by putting in a jumper wire between the two wires that are
connected to the otterstat.  If you install a jumper, and the fans
turn on and stay on full time with the key turned on, then all other
parts of the system are probably okay (for now).  This indicates a
bad otterstat.  If the fans don't come on, then you need to start
looking at the other pieces of the puzzle, starting with the fan
fail module.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Robert Lingo" <rlingo@xxxx> wrote:
> Just a quick question.  I can't seem to locate it on the parts
lists... Where is the otterstat?  My fans will not come at all.  I
know it's not bad fans, I tested both of them.  I guess the problem
lies with the otterstate. If I could just find it........