[DML] Re: LH Steering Rack Boot

Hi Wayne,

You don't really have to pull the whole rack out to replace that boot
- just fill the new boot with a few ounces of 90W gear oil and then
slide it on and clamp it down.

But you do need to remove that tie rod end to get the boot on.  If
your old tie rod end is looking bad, this is an excellent time to
replace it - they're cheap and the new offerings have much better
boots than the old ones.  Yes, there are a couple of tools used to
remove the old tie rod end and the one that worked best for me was
the "pickle fork" tool.  Here's a picture of the "pickle fork" and
another remover, which turned out to be too big for the DeLorean:

http://tinyurl.com/eyrsu

Service bulletin ST-09-7/81 has some revised torque specs for that
job.  And remember to have the alignment checked when you're done.

Travis Graham
#06344