RE: [DML] Water Pump

Martin,
We had this same conversation a year or so ago when Houston was saying that
if wasn't their pump or a Renault pump, then it wasn't any good and was
classed Aftermarket. First let me say PRV6 Not PRVD6. The pumps I use are OE
in every way and I proved it on the web site by comparing the construction
of the pump and the size of the impeller for water flow on the back of the
pump with what we can get over here which come from one of the European
countries. We have no pump manufactures over here. They are the same pump.
Also, Since I'm a parts man, I have looked at a lot of pumps that came in
different pretty boxes and I can almost tell you who made the part inside.
As best I can tell there were or are 3 water pump manufactures that made
pumps for The PRV6 and the Delorean one of them as stopped because the molds
wore out. I talked to them thru the US rep and they aren't going to re tool.
Also, the importers over here keep going up and blaming it on the EURO so I
am now importing my pumps direct from the manufacture again ( over there ).
I will say this, Me and another large DeLorean vendor were and are getting
our new pumps from the same source, so if something was going to be wrong
then it would have happened long before I showed up. I have only sold about
300 + pumps in the 4 + years I have been selling parts and have not had one
pump that I can recall that has come back for improper operation. That's why
I can give a 5 year warranty. They just don't give problems and if it did I
will just give you another new pump.
 As far as gaskets, Gaskets are thin in a lot of cases and go on that way
and then swell as water begins to soak in. The are several grades of
gaskets, but most of those problems don't show up for years. I just took an
original pump off a car that was leaking on the back plate. It had been on
20+ years.
As far as the pulley, Most people try to take the pulley off and wind up
destroying it because like me not thinking it doesn't matter. The pump has
to come apart to be rebuilt and the re-builder may give you trouble if you
give them the pump in pieces.
Again, Most of the small remanufactures over here have been forced out of
business by either big business or insurance. They just flat can't afford
the insurance so they close down. The DFW area being 3+ million people used
to be full of every type of rebuilder there is, but now most are gone.
Cardone, is as far as I know the largest rebuilder in the US and they are as
I understand self insured and I haven't been impressed with the production
line quality they put out. That's why It's nice to find someone over here
that still cares about quality.
Hope this answers a lot of questions.
My hands are tired from hunt and pecking.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com
We look and try to do it better.