[DML] Re: Fuses and Headlights

Oxidation and corrosion = resistance, resistance = heat. The heat
causes the metal connectors to lose their spring tension which again
increases resistance and heat. The fix is to clean up all the
connections and any connectors that have been overheated must be cut
off and replaced. I am refering to the blades of the fuses that get
oxidized and the connectors in the fuseblock that connect to the
fuses. You also have to go over all of the connectors in the plugs and
all the connections to the frame and other grounding points. You
should also do all the "big" connections from the battery to the
alternator, to the starter, to the engine, and the frame. Although the
electrical system in the car is so-so, after 20 years and some
corrosion it is not up to the task of running the car. It needs some
attention too so that it can work like it is supposed to. There is
such a thing as a "Repair Curve". It will seem everytime you use the
car there will be one or more things that don't work right. YOu have
to fix them and then other things happen. If you keep up with things
as the fail eventually you will start to get ahead and less and less
things will go wrong. This is the piecemeal approach. It can take a
long time and be very frustrating. The other way to go is to just go
over every major system in the car BEFORE it causes problems. You
don't have to be a fortune teller to know this. The brakes WILL leak
if the fluid looks like mud. The car WILL overheat if you are running
the origional hoses, belts, and coolant. The engine WILL run like cr-p
if you have the origional spark plugs and ignition wires. I could go
on and on but all you have to do is look in the archives and you will
see all the common problems. Most are age related due to old, worn out
parts. New owners are in for the biggest rude awakening because in
many cases they want a 20+ year old car to work like new. Never mind
that the previous owners and their mechanics never really took car of
the car like they should have, it still looks nice. One of the first
things a new owner should do is change ALL fluids and filters.
Cleaning all the fuses and making sure they have the correct size in
the correct spot is also VERY important. And all of the connectors
still have spring in them and have not been overheated.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "secret_jedi_guy"