[DML] Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic

[DML] Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic

The El Cheapo way to fill the final drive (and the 5-speed too) is to
just stick a short piece of tubing onto the 1 quart plastic bottle of
gear oil, hold it up close to the trans and squeeze. It is a pain in
the neck but it is effective. Harder to do in the wintertime when it
is cold. Just don't let the hose come out of the trans or fall off the
bottle! Don't ask me how I know. If you can't get the level plug loose
on the side with the adapter you can try putting a big pipe wrench on
it. Or a short piece of square stock bent into an el with a piece of
pipe over it and give it a sharp, fast tug. Do not overfill, let any
excess drain out before you put the level plug back. Check the
automatic transmission level as per the Workshop Manual. Do it on
level ground. If you don't have the magnetic drain plugs they are a
good investment.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757