[DML] Re: Pulling an Automatic

Adding to my own thread - the trans is out (with no assistance other
than the jack). I did have to loosen the crossover bolts to let it to
move up about 1/4" but otherwise it was pretty straightforward.

Now for the fun part - I can't see any evidence of anything wrong. So
it looks like I'll swap in another converter and see if that fixes it
(original problem was a disturbing noise). If nothing else I'll get
pretty good at R&Ring these things.

The only thing I noticed was that when I pulled the converter out,
the pump shaft stuck to it. On the "donor" transmission (thanks Marty
L!) it came apart like I would expect it to.

The oil that ran out of the "donor" looks perfectly clear, so I'm
going to use it as the replacement.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:
> This is an acedemic question at this point, but how do you turn the
> engine over to get to the converter bolts without removing the
> muffler (I have the muffler off so I could turn the engine over more
>  quickly in quest of the mysterious noise).
>
> It also seems to me that it's prudent to get those two cooling
lines
> out of the way so the rear of the trans can drop.
>
> I generally chain the trans to the jack so it shouldn't fall, but
> your right, dropping the converter would sure ruin your day. I have
> the OEM converter clamp to install on it as soon as it's separated.
>
> Dave
>
> -- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > You do not have to touch the exhaust system. You WILL have to
pull
> the
> > starter and lift the engine to get to the cover on the bottom.
Drain