[DML] Re: BTTF Exhaust

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx> wrote:
> If you paid close attention to the directors commentary version of
> the BTTF part 1 DVD you would here Bob Gale explain how the exhaust
> sound was dubbed over to make the car sound more powerful.

On the  director's commentary on Part 3, they said they learned their
lesson from Part I and replaced all the engines for the sequels with
Porsche engines (type unspecified).

I'm not sure what lesson they learned in Part I but I guess they wanted
some performance that just couldn't be accomplished with audio
dubbing.  In particular, I believe they were discussing the scene when
Marty pops into the middle of the Indians in 1885 and spends a few
harried moments driving in reverse.  After that, the engine wasn't
used. But since both II and III were shot back-to-back, presumably the
Part II cars were also modified.

Marv