From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of sgskbm
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 4:57 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Door Strut Debate and use of real names

I posted twice concerning struts and I have no reason not to give my
name.  My name is Scot Stern, I own 6452.  The car has approximately
12,200 miles on it and I bought my last set of struts from P.J.
Grady.

I need new ones now as they only open about half way and before, they
did go all the way up.  Rob explained, in one of his posts, that he
now has a new vendor and that makes me feel better. I would see no
point in buying the same struts as my originals and expecting any
other conclusion than what I have experienced now.

Personally, I think that the discussion is less than valid as it
would appear that each car has different variables based upon
adjustments of the torsion bars and the actual weight of the door.

In addition, I am also willing to bet that no two struts, even form
the same batch, perform the same and, therefore, it would appear that
all of them are a crap shoot.

The temperature controlled units seem interesting but I really don't
have extreme temperature variances in San Diego.  I tried to call one
vendor, during normal business hours, and all I got was an answering
machine and a message that said they would try to call me back within
a day or two.  If it is that difficult to buy then how would I obtain
service information if I had a problem?

All in all, most of the vendors offer good products and even better
advice.  It will boil down to a matter of convenience and price as no
one seems to have a clear-cut advantage.

I am not ashamed to use my name and I was certainly not trying to
hide in any way.  My direct email address is scotstern@xxxxxxxx
Simple and open??the way I would like my doors to operate.

Scot Stern
6452

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews