RE: [DML] Door Strut Debate and use of real names

RE: [DML] Door Strut Debate and use of real names

I recently moved my door struts (purchased in 1999 from P.J. Grady)
from my now parts car to my daily driver Delorean (say that real fast),
 In the 20+ years I drove what is now my parts car, I never had to
adjust the torsion bars to get full rise.  Yet, when I moved the struts
to my current daily driver, I had to adjust the torsion bars on the
current car to get full rise.

My obvious conclusion is that the struts are not necessarily set the
same on all cars and to some degree there may be other minor variables
from door to door.  (Temperature was a fixed in my "experiment.")  I
would hope that any scientific comparison of different strut
manufacturers would be done with several torsion bars under varying
degrees of applied torque on a bench simulation and not on the car.
Until that is done, it will be difficult to draw any difinitive
conclusions about which strut is best and it may very well be that the
best strut for one car may not be the best for another.

On the subject of using real names:  IMHO, in today's world there are a
lot more reasons to preserve our last bits of privacy than there are
benefits to be gained from the use of real names on dmcnews.  If I do
an internet search for "Rob Grady," I'll get a list of every time his
name has appeared in text on the internet.  This puts a lot of
information into the hands of all kinds of people for whatever reasons
they choose.  There is probably not a day that goes by that someone is
not harmed financially or physically in this way.

One does not have to look beyond this site to find correspondence that
got heated and personal.  Who knows what an unstable person might do in
anger?

Obviously, there are situations where real names should be required by
the moderators or managers of a site.  Thus, Rob, if someone wants to
date your daughter, you should have their real name. :-)

I will continue to read the posts from both those who use their real
names and those who use a screen name or nickname, and I will continue
to use my nickname except for correspondence with those I know and
trust.

I will also continue to buy parts from Rob (a/k/a P.J. Grady) as I
greatly respect his/their knowledge of our cars and very much
appreciate all of his technical support.  (Plus, Debbie has a great
phone voice and is very knowledgable and helpful.)

Woody

p.s. Rob if you want a different nickname, how about "Pajamas"?

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail