Re: [DML] Cracked Windshield

This crack is from the small wire clip that is supposed to keep the
windshield from sliding down. It must have chipped the glass. They are
origionaly coated with a thick coating of paint to keep the metal from
touching the glass. The next time you replace the glass either use a
piece of plastic to separate it from the glass or dip the wire in
Plasticote so the metal can't touch and rub against the glass. I have
also seen where the glass slips over the clip and then damages the
glass. When replacing the glass you need to make sure the clip is bent
properly and is holding the glass correctly. The clip just sticks into
2 holes in the fiberglass when the windshield is out. Your glass
installer should know what to do. There are 2 of them, one on each
side. This crack is from an improper installation. You should try to
get the shop to be responsable for it and give you a discount on the
labor to replace it, that is if you even trust them to do it again (I
would not, I would find another shop). YOu may not have to replace the
glass. I have had glass repaired. It can be done, not every time but
maybe this one can.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757