Re: [DML] Restorable or Parts Car?

I guess you also have to ask yourself if you're going to do a full
restoration to show condition, or "refurbish" the car to be at least
driveable. Here's some facts to compare your situation with mine. I
paid $8500 for an Aug-81 that had been sitting in a garage with 4858
original miles on it for 15 years. The car was 100% complete and
original. The body was about 98% perfect (a small ding on the hood and
a cracked front windshield) and the interior was mint except for the
headliners. I still sunk nearly $4000 worth of just parts alone into
the car to get it running and reliable and I'm still not done yet.
I've done 100% of the labor myself (except for getting new Dunlop GT
Qualifiers mounted on the rims) and even was able to save $400 by
replacing the bad injectors and fuel distributor with ones from a
wrecked 83 Volvo GLE. I've put easily 100 hours of my time into it and
 wouldn't have even imagined trying to make repairs on my car without
a fully equipped garage of air and hand tools.

After looking at the pictures, I'd guess that you're looking at
probably $6000 worth of parts from the vendors to get it going again.
It's missing what looks like most of the K-jet system plus the rest of
it will most likely have to be rebuilt with new parts. The brakes are
probably all shot. ALL of the three million pieces of coolant hoses,
tires obviously, the necessary suspension repairs and upgrades. the
safety recalls, the necessary electrical upgrades and repairs. etc
etc. $6k seems like a lot but most of these parts nickel and dime you
to death. $100 here, $150 there, $399 here, etc. I think it's worthy
of a restoration or refurbishment, but I don't think I'd give the
owner more than $3000 to $4000 MAX.

-sean