[DML] Re: Restorable or Parts Car?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stephen Card" <stephen@xxxx> wrote:
> The answer should ultimately come from yourself.
Great answer!

> Here are a few questions to answer to help with the decision:
> Do you have the ability to do all of the work for the restoration or
> will you have to pay for the parts AND labor?

I'm good with my hands and I have good mechanical logic in general.
Some of the really tricky stuff I might have to pay labor for.  I've
made Transformer toys from scratch and I've built models for the last
18 years or so, and I'm pretty handy around the house (spent the last
year+ fixing the place up).

> Do you have a suitable place soley for the restoration as this may
> become a storage space when the budget runs low?

My new garage is almost done, built soley for the purpose of parking
and/or restoring my future DeLorean, and some other lucky auto
someday.  30'x30'. Plus I'm going to hang my newly refurbished
dealership sign up in there too.

> Do you have the time and financial constitution ($) to complete the
> project? There WILL be unexpected expenses.

I currently work part time/house hub and I've got about $20k saved up

> Is the experience of Delorean ownership a passing fad or a deep
> rooted desire that will withstand the challenges the car WILL throw
> at you?

I've thought of buying no other car more than this for the last 20
years.  Ask anyone I ever went to school with.  I'm a certified freak.
 I've got a dealership sign for a car I don't own YET.  Never been an
"if" it's just been a "when".

> As far as helpful people, knowledge and information you have a
> wealth of information between this list and all of our great vendors.

I love you folks already.  I have no idea why I didn't subscribe to
the DML before, guess I was never close enough to getting one.  Before
this I was a dedicated watcher of www.projectvixen.com. This is still
a big decision, for the money I could just buy a nice one and have it
and drive it everyday, or I could save one from the brink of
destruction but not get to use it for a long time.
*sigh*

-John