[DML] Re: starter question

Joe - Timing is everything in this operation.  You have to turn the
key to the "ON" position *just* before popping the clutch.  The
reason is that the fuel pump shuts off after a very brief period if
it doesn't get a signal that the engine is running.  This is a
safety feature to prevent flooding, etc.  The only way around this
that I know of is to remove the RPM relay and install a jumper to
keep the fuel pump running.  This is described in the shop manual
for perfroming various fuel system checks that require a running
pump, but not a running engine.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus@xxxx>
wrote:
> My starter solenoid is shot, and the car naturally doesn't crank
at all.  If I were to push it out of its parking space and role it
down the hill am I likely able to get it going so I can drive it to
the shop to change the starter on a lift?  I have been able to "pop
start it" before when the starter still worked but the battery was
just too low, and I couldn't get jumper cables, but never without a
starter at all.  I have about a 40 ft hill that could probably have
me going about 25 mph if I just let it role to the bottom, but I am
not sure that it works like this.  If I try to "pop start" it with a
completely nonfunctioning starter, am I likely to get it started?