Re: [DML] Trans noise (throw out bearing)

Re: [DML] Trans noise (throw out bearing)

Actually it doesn't "click" like a traditional bearing, but rather has
a pocket on one side only that the fork slips into, and a stop tab on
the other side that prevents it from spinning out of that pocket. If
the fork is moved in its release direction before the bearing has
contacted the pressure plate, it will slip out of that pocket.
Fortunately there are access holes on either side of the bell housing
(for side forks I guess) that you can look through to ensure that the
fork is indeed still in the pocket.

Another thing to watch out for: there's a spring steel clip that holds
the clutch fork to the pivot ball (slips behind it). If the fork is
wiggled too much while the transmission is out, this clip will slip
off the ball. Then, when you remate the transmission, the clip will be
sandwiched BETWEEN the fork and the ball. This happened to me,
ultimately fatigue breaking one side of the clip (which cocks the
fork). I was able to rotate the clip and cut a mirror image in the
other end. Pic is uploaded to #5939's photo album.

Bill Robertson