Re: [DML] Higher Amperage Alternator - costs / benefits?

Re: [DML] Higher Amperage Alternator - costs / benefits?

I had an R5-Le Car back in the early 90s and put one of the 80A Ducelliers
on it.  I believe that was the last time one of those gave satisfactory
service.  The electrical demands of the Delorean are just too great for the
medium-duty alternator that is the Ducellier.  If you have one and the A/C
is on, with the cabin fan turned to 4, the lights on, and the engine
pulling, you could just about shut yourself down signalling a lane change.
In this case more is definately better.  The 90A Motorola gave excellent
service in stock Deloreans.  It was a heavy-duty unit adapted from a marine
alternator.  The difference was not so much the extra 10 amps as the service
capability of the components.  We sell a re-manufactured heavy-duty
replacement for the Ducellier on a Delco frame, rated at 105A, that I like a
lot.  It will easily handle the everyday operating demands of the D plus any
electronic extras you care for. We've sold dozens of them and had very few
to come back.  They're easy to install and come with a one year warranty.
There's a picture behind the link.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2274&Qty=1&ShowCart=true.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)