[DML] Fuel Pump Noise

Guys

As a D owner since 1982 and active on the list since
its inception, you might think I'd have all the
answers.  Not even close.  One problem that has
irritated me off and on since I first owned a D is
that damn fuel pump noise.

Now, when I go through Vegas on the way to SoCal and
hit 102º on Las Vegas Blvd I say, "Okay" it's the heat
and, sure enough, if I refuel and get some nice cool
gas from the stations underground tank, the noise goes
away - - for a while.

But, I recently did a 4000 miles trip in 12 days.  Car
ran like a Swiss watch.  Hottest ambient air temp I
experienced was under 80º.  Still, as soon as I hit a
half a tank, the buzz started.  And, the lower the
fuel level, the louder the noise.  Further, as soon as
I filled up, the noise stopped.

Now, my pump is good.  I can find no kinked hoses.
The hose in the tank is the "new and improved" model.
And, yes, I even have the Bauerle air flow deflector
on the front of the fuel tank.

Even just a couple hundred miles shy of 100,000 miles,
16867 is way too nice to have this "flaw".

Any help/ideas/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://mail.yahoo.com