[DML] Re: DMA Spring Social - Thank you all!

[DML] Re: DMA Spring Social - Thank you all!

I was in charge of door adjustments for the event. Most did not need
any adjustment, the owners just wanted someone to look it over and
make sure it was OK. One I had to tighten up but several I had to
loosen. I guess in the past the torsion bars were overtightened to
compensate for weak struts. The main thing I wanted to comment on was
I also conducted what I called a "Safety Check". I checked the brake
lights, tail lights, markers, hazard, and park lights. Most were OK
but several had issues with brake lights. The other MAJOR thing I
checked was tire pressures. Besides most not knowing what the correct
pressures were, they did not know where to find it. I found some cars
had as much as 40 psi in some tires and some had as low as 12 psi in
the fronts. Tire pressures make a very significant difference in
handling, ride comfort, and tire life. I cannot overemphisize the
importance of correct tire pressures enough! This is something that no
owner can have any excuses for not doing. I am sure most who read and
participate on the DML pay much more attention to this than most
owners. Try to educate others as to the importance of correct tire
pressures. I had one car I checked and the owner commented (after
putting air in the fronts from 12 psi to 23psi) "Now I feel like I
have Power Steering!". You cannot just take a car out of storage,
charge the battery and put some gas in it! You should check all the
fluids, (change the brake and clutch fluids if over 2 years old) AND
CHECK THE TIRES! On a Delorean, because of the known issues with the
tailight boards, it is important to regularly check the brake lights
so you don't get rear-ended. If your spare won't hold air get it
resealed with bead sealer. The one car I could not be sure of the
correct tire pressures was Rich's car. I have no idea how much air the
front tires need to hold up an engine in the front!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757