RE: [DML] So let's quiet this baby down...

RE: [DML] So let's quiet this baby down...

	This is one of the first problems I noticed when I first bought my
car. I could hear every pebble I ran over on the road through the floor. I
couldn't listen to the radio without it blasting and trying to have a
conversation was almost impossible.
	My solution was to rip out all of the original carpeting clear back
to the back wall. There was no carpet padding even in my car, I guess the PO
must have removed it. After conferring with a local upholstry shop owner who
has many car interior restorations under his belt, He gave me some pointers
on how to quiet down the car. He suggested a closed cell 1/4" rubber matting
with adhesive on one side to stick down then place the jute carpet padding
down and then the carpet. At my place of work we had to isolate a extremely
noisy vibrating machine into its own enclosure and add soundproofing
material to the walls of the room. This material was a closed cell foam with
a lead sheet sandwiched in the middle. According to the tech we worked with
the lead absorbs the sound waves and converts it to heat. Its neglible. The
only issue here is that the increased thickness can interfere with things
like the seat adjuster, emergency brake, and throttle pedal. These can be
addressed as you put down the barrior with cutouts. You can buy a similar
material here in the US with a vinyl barrier that has reduced performance. I
found a company in Canada that I bought mine from with the lead barrier,
total thickness is 1/2" thick. The company is B-Quiet and the product is
B-Quiet Lcomp 24 Sq.Ft. for $149.99. Web site at http://b-quiet.com . I
ordered two matts and covered everything right up to the back wall. The
change was astonishing. The matts are heavy with the lead sheet inside but
you won't feel any difference in performance.
	If this is too much money then I suggest McMaster Carr. They have
several soundproofing matt materials. Search for Noise & Sound
Absorbers/Barriers.
	Other things to look at are what Dave T. suggested as tires, new gas
shocks from PJ Grady, and new door seals. I wouldn't add anything to the
doors themselves because the added weight would affect the door opening.

Good luck,
Dave Sontos
Vin 02573 nice and quiet