Re: [DML] So let's quiet this baby down...

Re: [DML] So let's quiet this baby down...

N.B.  The following is wild-ass speculation:

The biggest challenge in producing a quiet DeLorean is the fact that
the engine is sitting 12 inches behind your ears.  Sound deadening
material is only going to help so much.  So here's a thought:

The 2005 Honda Odyssey uses active sound deadening to quiet the engine
noise caused by the variable-cylinder engine scheme that this vehicle
uses. This works basically the same way as those expensive Bose
headphones:  A microphone picks up the ambient noise coming from the
engine, a processor generates the exact opposite waveform and feeds
this "negative noise" into the stereo system.  The two waveforms meet
and cancel each other out.  Works pretty well (I took a test drive on
an Odyssey that wasn't prepped yet and had no power to the
stereo--didn't show well).

So, maybe one could buy a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones,
position one of them in the firewall somewhere so that it's microphone
picks up the engine noise, and feed the output into your fancy new
sound system.

Probably a long shot, but would be fun to try.

On Apr 14, 2005, at 1:07 AM, ComposerZelgadis@xxxxxxx wrote:
> So right now, I'm fishing around for ideas to reduce the overall noise
> of
> the DeLorean.  Engine noise, road noise, wind noise... all of it.  A
> few ideas
> have been suggested to me, including caulking the rear window (early
> VIN,
> #1366), installing Dynamat panels to just about every aspect of the
> car,  and
> replacing the door seals.  This sounds like the direction I'd really
> like to
> head in, but I was wondering if there was anything else beyond that
> anyone could
> recommend?  I'm just looking to reduce noise, period.   Oh, someone
> did also
> mention the rubber boot near the console, below the shifter  that
> apparently
> helps block out a lot of wind noise coming up through the  frame.  If
> mine's
> missing, any idea who's got 'em?  And what part  number would that be
> anyway?
> An odd question, I know, but are there any  particular tires that fit
> the
> DeLorean that are quieter than others?
--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703