[DML] Re: More on idle speeds

There are a lot of reasons the idle speed is set where it is. Some are
related to smoothness of the motor when idling, some are emissions
related, and a BIG reason is so when you shift into gear you don't
always stall out the motor. On an automatic it is affected by the
"creep" of the torque convertor. BTW that is another weird point. The
idle spec for the automatic AND the 5-speed is the same. Very strange.
On just about every other kind of car I can think of there is ALWAYS a
different idle spec for the auto idle (usually a little faster). You
will find the idle is also always below the point at which the
mechanical advance starts to come in for the ignition.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757