[DML] Re: Blown Exhaust Pipe Gaskett off Right Manifold

[DML] Re: Blown Exhaust Pipe Gaskett off Right Manifold

Just remove everything, lay it out on the floor, and "go to town" on
it. Trying to do this kind of work with the parts still in the car is
extremely difficult and you do it only if you have to, like a stud on
the cylinder head, if you can get at it reasonable well enough to do
it accurately. From my experience the only thing that works
consistantly is an acetalyne torch. If you can get at the parts
without melting everything nearby, you heat the part up to cherry red
and remove it while it is still hot. Every other technique runs a very
high risk of breaking all the fasteners. I HATE EXHAUST WORK! It is
always dirty, hot, and messy. Parts are hard to get to and you wind up
having to replace most everything. Use Never-Seize on all the threaded
fasteners when reassembling so it will come apart for the next guy (it
may be YOU). The vendors sell better studs, nuts, and gaskets than the
origional stuff so ask them for it. For the right side exhaust
manifold you get a lot more room to work if you remove the starter and
alternator. You will probably need a new heat stove too. It is that
cover over the manifold to heat the air for the air intake when cold.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757