[DML] Re: Cold Idle Problem - one more thing (CIS)

[DML] Re: Cold Idle Problem - one more thing (CIS)

I think CIS is rather misunderstood in the DeLo community. It serves
the same function and has exactly the same effect as cracking open the
throttle plates (except of course the ported vacuum barb remains
closed). That's all it does. CIS does have the advantage of *VARIABLY*
cracking the throttle plates, which is how idle speed remains constant.

Compare CIS to a carburetor. Cold, carb has a cam that pushes the
throttle plates further open (manifold vacuum actually increases, thus
fuel mixture enriches, because of the choke plate. K Jetronic
accomplishes the same thing via the CPR). Cam has multiple step downs
that incrementally allow the throttle plates to close to their warm
setting, cracked a certain distance by a set screw. Common practice is
to use a solenoid to push the throttle plates further open again when
accessories such as A/C are energized.

For some reason many DeLo owners think that CIS is mandatory. Nonsense
-- CIS wasn't even introduced until 1981. K Jetronic PRV's had been in
production at least 5 years prior, idling off the brass manifold
screws (with a device called the "auxiliary air valve" to serve the
same function as cracking the throttle plates further open on a cold
engine). CIS is nice -- when properly functioning -- but hardly mandatory.

Bill Robertson