From: cruznmd [mailto:racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 6:51 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: DMCH Performance Engine (SpecialT Parts)

Since my name was used, I'll chime in. :)

I totally agree. By over-gapping my plugs, I forced other components
to bear the electrical load and they wore out -waaaaay- faster than
I expected.

I'm running John's silicone wires and all other items are factory
spec. I've put several thousand miles on the existing setup and my
wife still crabs at me for outpacing her PT Cruiser during two-car
trips.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:

> What you are observing is the "Weakest Link Syndome". The stock
> ignition system is not made for this large increase in voltage.
Even
> with the better wires you are not upgrading the cap and rotor. By
> inceasing the gap on the spark plugs you increase the insulation
> breakdown requirements of the entire system. Some of the parts are
not
> up to it. You cannot change the gap inside the distributer between
the
> cap and the rotor. You also cannot keep the rotor from breaking
down
> and grounding on the distributer shaft. You are also increasing the
> current requirements on the ignition ECU. You may get a hotter
spark
> but how long will ALL of the components live? BTW increasing the
gap
> has the side effect of delaying the spark so you might want to
advance
> the timing to compensate. Again, you cannot just change some parts
> without considering ALL of the effects on the entire system. I
agree
> with you that the stock ignition system can be improved but you
MUST
> do it on a systemwide basis. Just replacing some of the parts is
not
> enough. You MUST consider reliability, how long will your
improvements

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews