[DML] Re: plans for torsion bar adjustment jig

[DML] Re: plans for torsion bar adjustment jig

Although the factory setting is probably correct, in many cases a P.O.
may have adjusted the torsion bars to compensate for weak struts. Or
door guides were added to an early car and the torsion bars were not
adjusted to compensate for the added weight. If new struts are
installed and the doors won't stay all the way up the torsion bars
NEED to be adjusted. We have a simple test if you need struts and/or a
torsion bar adjustment. Remove the strut and let the door close
slowly. It should come to rest open between 2 to 6 inches. If it does
the torsion bar is probably OK and you just need a strut. Adjusting a
torsion bar is not all that bad if you are properly equipped to deal
with it and have some experience. That being said there is always the
small chance it could get away from you when it is adjusted. IMHO when
done properly that chance is acceptably small enough to warrant
adjusting it. I am finding in most cases I unwind the bars 1-2 splines
to work with new, fresh  struts. That can only prolong the life of the
system since it is under less stress.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757