Re: [DML] Replacing Door/Roof Seals

Michael

I've done this operation on my car several years ago.  It's not
as bad as it may look.  You can get a drill bit on the rivits, however it
is a Very Good Idea to cover the torsion bars with some duct tape
or card board or something to prevent them from  becoming damaged.
You also want to take care not to push real hard on the rivit once you
are close to drilling it out completely.  If you push too hard, you can
dimple the top surface of the door.

There will be bits of the rivit left inside the door.  There just isn't
much you can do about it.  After enough cycles of the door the
little loose bits settle into some crevice somewhere and they
don't rattle anymore.

Use some WD-40 to help get the old weatherstrip and retainer
out from behind the hinges.  You will want to move the retainer
aft until the front edge of the retainer is free of the front hinge.
Then carefully flex the retainer around the hinge and pull
it free of the rear hinge.  You don't want to crease the retainer.

Next, fit the new weatherstripping to the retainer.  The cup
in the new strip should face up.   It may require some trimming
to fit.  I used some 3M trim adhesive to glue the weatherstrip
to the retainer.  Don't forget to punch holes in the new
weatherstrip.  This makes reassembly much easier.  To
reinstall the retainer, reverse the process of taking it out.
Don't forget the WD-40 on this step - you'd hate to tear that
new rubber.  I used stainless rivits to attach the retainer.  Make
sure your rivit gun will fit - you may need one with a smaller head.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "Michael Babb" <mcbabb@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------