[DML] Re: Suggestions

Consider this a combined personal and [ADMIN] post..

We've thought about this and some discussion is probably worthwhile.
As usual there's a bit more to it. Following are honest questions on
my part, I'm not taking a side because I really don't know.

What's a "name"? Is "Robert" enough or should there be a last name
shown on every post? Is "therealdmcvegas" a valid identity? (I'm not
picking on you but it was a handy example!) It's pretty darn
impossible to actually check everyone's identity, if we have to ask
for positive photo ID it's going to be a very quiet list. Should we
ask for VIN numbers?

I'm on other lists (not necessarily DMC), and many are "closed" i.e
the moderator has to let you subscribe, and may require an off-line
introductory post and an on-line one after approval as well. And a
complete, full-name and state Sig Line. Do we want to be more
restrictive? What would/won't that accomplish? Are we trying for a
public list, a private club, or something in between?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to get some thoughts on
exactly how we'd go about this. There is a high percentage of the
list members who chose not to routinely publish their last name,
phone number, license plate number etc. It is a publicly visible list
with 1500 subscribers +/-, I can certainly understand people wanting
to maintain some privacy for whatever reason (although I chose not to
worry much about it, and hence get phone calls and off-line emails).
The downside of privacy is that in some cases it seems to breed some
behavior that you would never see if you were face to face.

Moderation is a funny thing - people seem to like it until THEY get
moderated. Another twist on it is our multiple moderator format, we
<<know>> that we are not consistent from week to week. There are two
options to fix that - go to a single moderator, or go wide-open.
We've elected to live with the inconsistency as an artifact of the
list. Some people have voted to leave (or come here when it suits
them and leave when it doesn't). Most people have told us they like
the format the way it is, and some even state that at times we're not
strict enough.

I'm cautious about starting a "meta-discussion" but the timing seems
right. I'm really interested in keeping this a "friendly" place and
honestly in recent weeks some of that seems to have gone out the
window.

Dave S (last name in email ID!)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:

> I'll second that, Dick. In that past, I've been in support of
allowing
> unsigned posts, because of possible negative reprocussions against
the
> submitter, from the vendors.
>
> However, since we have gotten firm commitments that the vendors will
> not discriminate against anyone simply because of unflattering
> comments, then I don't believe this to be a vaild argument any
longer.

> There is no longer any reason for anyone not to sign their VIN #
> and/or full name to any of the posts that are submitted to the DML.
If