[DML] DeLorean: Surely, Life Wasn't a Waste

[DML] DeLorean: Surely, Life Wasn't a Waste

In memorandum of John DeLorean

DeLorean came to us as one of the first and only images that embodied a Hollywood icon
in the automobile industry.  Realizing the American love for the automobile, he pioneered
the GTO.  Once his first baby was done, he was not going to allow himself to be tied down
to someone else's dreams.  He left General Motors and went onto working on his dream,
his child, his passion: the DeLorean DMC-12.

For this famous starlight, the American business world shut him out of an American
produced car, and DeLorean had to take his dream elsewhere.  He finally found the place
to build his dream: of all places, it was to be built in Dublin, Ireland.  Still a romantic and
dreamer at heart, DeLorean knew that if a quality product was built, American would
purchase it.

The DeLorean, regardless of whether one liked it or not, became an instant success and
household name.  For those who did not know DeLorean based on his GM track record,
they surely knew him when the DeLorean hit US shores.  The story for the latter part of his
life is surely not so American.

DeLorean died on March 20, 2005, and America made no bones about it.  For the DC area,
no newspapers even carried an obituary of the famed automobile legend.  The only
coverage of his death could be found in a short and brief moment of television exposure
that was on the national news channels.  DeLorean's death should not have passed with a
simple moment of television exposure.

I had been planning on meeting DeLorean for years, but that dream will have to be
suspended momentarily.  Even though I never personally knew DeLorean, I know how this
country ill-treated the genius--let's make no bones about it, DeLorean was and still is a
great entrepreneur, and he never took shit from anyone--and how when the media
blacklisted him, the country followed and proclaimed that he was nothing more than a
cokehead.

Hollywood, the media, the car industry, all showcased the DeLorean of youth as a
superstar.  When the pressures of reality were knocking on the doors of Detroit, Detroit
was not going to let this former, young hotshot steal the show.  Using their governmental
pressures, Detroit buried DeLorean once and for all--or so they thought.

In his retirement, DeLorean was working hard on his next goal in life: to build yet another
sports car.  Going once again up against Goliath, DeLorean would have risked his name
and worth for the American people: yet again, he would have tried to put Detroit back on a
track of quality and wonderful products.

Mr. John Zechery DeLorean, I know you're in a better place now.  They brought you to us
as the new hot shot of the automobile industry.  They made you start up a new company
in leu of their inhume treatment of your character.    Even when you died, the press still
hounded you: all the papers had to say was that a coke-head died.  I sincerely would have
liked to know you, John, but I was just a kid.  Your candle died out long ago, but in my
heart, your legend will last until I die.

I thank you, Mr. DeLorean, for the time you gave us, the inspirations you made, the
dreams you shared with us, the hopes you gave us, and the impact you made on us all.

It was not a waste, Mr. DeLorean, it was surely not a waste,

Michael
A friend of DeLorean