[DML] Mr. John Delorean

I rarely take to comment except on technical issues.
However, now I feel compelled to write a line or two.
I have read all the Delorean books.  One point that was made clear
throughout all the books, (even the books that did not paint a nice picture
of Mr. Delorean) is that all who worked with him would not dispute that he
worked harder than everybody around him, earned the respect of all, even
those on the floor working to assemble, working  in management, in fact,
working at all levels.  This is a rare characteristic in a man.  This man
rose from the floor out of shear determination to be the best.

In fact, he did that.  He carried out an engineering feat that few men have
achieved.  As an engineer, I am continuously in awe at how fast he created
his factory, his automobile, and his dream.  I am still amazed at the very
few engineering "bugs" in the car considering that it was pretty much a
scratch design.  I am amazed at the tenacity he had to drive the dream home.
  I think we all should be if we only look at each of our own
accomplishments.

He did "Rise against the machine"  He did it with determination and with all
the strengths and weaknesses of a man. His weakness was that he saw no
limits and kept pushing his dream even when it became clear that there were
too many against him. His weakness was that he was a true man who faced his
accomplishments and the temptation of the reward.  His weakness like every
many of success was that he was willing to sacrifice family, friends, and
relationships in the name of his goals.   Every man who has succeeded at any
level has to be driven by something.  History judges them only by where they
end.  He has been judged by many forces outside of his control, and placed
in that judgement seat because he dared so much more than most.  His life,
and our automobiles stand for much more than a piece of stainless steel with
some dollar value.    As we all play with our Deloreans, ponder the what
ifs, perhaps for a moment, we should forget about the value of our car,
forget about what we have or have not accomplished in our lives and simply
look with awe at the man who created this "hobby" for all of us.  Look at
his whole life.  He gave us our beautiful cars, but the drive he had, the
persistence he showed throughout his life should be an example and
inspiration for every man who dreams of going beyond the status quo.  His
family, his children, and all who knew or associated themselves with him
should be proud of this man for giving us who know his history that dream.
Now that I've said that, I'll stick to the technical issues.
Dale
4984