[DML] Re: Front Coil Spring Removal

You have to get the spring compressor as far up to the top of the
spring as you can before compressing the spring. It might also be the
screw is too long so you may have to shorten it by cutting a piece
off. Measure twice-cut once!. Make notes on EXACTLY how you used the
spring compressor, it's position, angle, etc. Since you will remove it
from the old spring you will have to install it into the new spring
and compress it to install in the car. If you do it wrong you will not
be able to get the spring compressor out! Be real careful, there is a
LOT of power in a compressed spring. Don't go around hitting it,
bumping it, dropping it, etc until you can release the pressure. Use
the best tools you can afford. A cheapo compressor will not last and
is dangerous. If you can't afford to buy a good one (around $70) you
can rent them. Some auto stores even lend them for free (with a
deposit). Of course if you rent or borrow you can't cut it up to
shorten it. BTW for the front springs you have to use the internal
type and for the rears the external one.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757