[DML] Re: transmission.

Transaxle manufacturer: Renault
Transaxle Type: UN-1
Transaxle Model #: ?

The model # is unknown, because I've never been far enough under the
car, to read it off the tag.

The estimations for power that the Renault UN-1 can handle vary
between 250-350 bhp, and about the same for torque. After reading up
on the abuse that these things take, I'd be willing to say that you
could easily couple a 280bhp engine to the stock DeLorean trans, and
be safe. ASSUMING that you didn't consistantly dump the clutch while
red-lining the motor.

Now the UN-1 is capable of handling lots more horsepower and torque,
but it's the input shaft that is the Achilles heel. The best
explanation of this can be found here:
http://www.bell-performance.co.uk/gearbox%20upgrade.htm
And of course, stronger input shafts can be had.

As far as gear ratios go, many people looking for UN-1s for kit car
applications seem to covet the gear ratios that we have stock. But if
you wanted to get as close to the Lotus Esprits' gearing, but on a
budget, then the Renault Fuego Turbo would be your best bet. The UN-1
was used in lots of AMC/Renault cars from the 80's, and are hidden in
a few junkyards.

And finally, you could pick up an ATB differential from Quiafe too.

Now that's about all I can write on the UN-1 just off the top of my
head. So if you want to beef up your stock motor, or if you want an
engine swap, know that with a little help, the 5-speed trans can
handle almost anything you'd throw at it.

Me personally, if the turbos don't pan out the way I want them too,
I've always got the Rover conversion to fall back on...
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/p00/v8_transaxle1.jpg

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"