[DML] Re: PRV Performance - Set me straight please

[DML] Re: PRV Performance - Set me straight please

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
My own car, #1458 was one of
> three "test cars" which basically got secondhand parts thrown at
it. My
> car gained considerably in torque and truly made it a quick car
that's a
> lot of fun to drive.
<SNIP>
> Because it's business, I'm not about to go and tell everyone how to
do
> this (sorry) but I do know it's totally different from DMCH's
approach...
<SNIP>

And welcome everyone, to the wonderful world of DeLorean ownership!

Since 1981, DeLorean owners have been patiently been waiting for
aftermarket support for their engines, rather than deal with the
guilt/cost of a motor swap. And since this time, we've been taunted
by a slew of people who lay down claims that these motors can be
tuned, and can crank out the coupious amounts of power that we've all
been wanting. But noooooooo. Everyone witholds this information from
us, citing "trade secrets", and "business practices".

Wheather it's DMCH, DMUK, or Fred Dellis up on stage taunting
everyone with his black portfolio saying, "All the hard work I ever
did to create the Legend turbo motors, and the formulas and
modification instructions for installation that I created are in this
book. But I'm not gonna share it!" Facts are facts, and it's a
straight out fact that I'm tired of this crap! Help us out! 'cause no
one here is getting any younger, and everyone seems to want to take
this "knowlege" to their graves with them.

Yes, I know that DMCH offers engine swaps. But at over $6,700 for
their engine kit, that's allot of cash for a less than 68 or less hp
gain, that doesn't even allow the car to break the 200bhp mark. And
then there's still a $1,000 or so charge to ship the car to them.
This is allot of cash, especially when I can get a race ready 5 litre
Rover short block for less than $4K. And after all is said and done,
come out ahead with 2 more cylinders, and nearly double the
displacement, and NO core charge! And don't even think about the
Island turbo kit. $7K+ for 2 compressors, a couple of custom
manifolds, and ordinary plumbing is just plain asinine. For that
money, I'd expect forged pistons & rods, plus new cam shafts & head
gaskets to be included.

And transmissions are of no concern. The UN-1 has been in use for
many years in GT-40 kit cars, and can/has been easily beefed up.
Hell, you can swap the internals and make your car into a 6-speed!

Bottom line: I don't understand the logic here of keeping all this
stuff a secret. Losing a few hundred dollars is nothing in comparison
to the potential money to be made in sharing your tuning expertice
with everyone. If our cars are more powerful, we enjoy them more.
When we enjoy something we want to do it more often. And the more we
drive our cars, the more we break stuff. And the more we break stuff,
the more often we have to buy replacement parts from you guys.

If I'm wrong in this assumption, please share your opinions with me.
Because I love the PRV's reliability, and the fact that I've already
got a live engine to work with. But it's on it's last chance with me
for being improved. I've no intention of buying nology wires for it,
or performance exhaust when there is no worthwile, satisfying
experience for me to be gained.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"