[DML] Re: PRV Performance - Set me straight please

[DML] Re: PRV Performance - Set me straight please

I want to clear up something that seems misunderstood by some people
on the List. As long as there is at least one spring in the
distributer on one of the weights the mechanical advance works. In
some cars (not Deloreans) there are 2 springs and in some cars the
springs are different (ie they are not both the same). Same with the
weights (they are not always identenical). The spring is there to keep
the advance from coming in till a certain RPM AND to return the
advance back to 0 below the target RPM. If there is a second spring it
gives a "knee" to the advance curve, essentially preventing additional
advance until a certain RPM is exceeded. The other point I want to
make is on Deloreans it is the ONLY car I know of that does not have a
different advance set-up for the automatic verses the 5-speed.
Generally the manual version would have a much faster advance curve
than the automatic mainly because of the torque multiplacation
provided by the torque converter. For further information get out the
Workshop Manual and a timing light and watch the advance as you
increse the motor speed. Disconnect the vacuum to only see the
mechanical advance. You should see 20 degrees of advance. that means
if your base timing is 13, add 20 and see 33 degrees. Reconnect the
vacuum and you should see a total advance of 13+20+20 for a total of
around 53 degrees BTDC. You can plot the advance at every 1,000 RPM to
see what it is as it comes in too.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx> wrote:
me a driveability issue until replaced.  Thanks, Rick