[DML] DOT 5 - Long Term Experience

I installed DOT 5 in my first D about 19 years ago when I converted my
car from automatic to manual.  The car sat for about 8 years with the
DOT 5 in the system before I got the car out of storage, re-did the
fuel system and started driving it again. Last year, 5 years after
bringing the car out of storage and driving with the same DOT 5 fluid,
I drained the system, disassembled the brakes and clutch and was amazed
at the good condition of the fluid, cylinders and seals.  A year ago,
the brake master cylinder developed an occasional drip which ultimately
led to my adding a little fluid.

I may have replaced the clutch slave when I removed the car from
storage and installed a new Centerforce clutch as a preventative nature
so this component may not have had the long term results.

I have also used the silicone brake fluid in surge brakes on boat
trailers and after years of trouble-free results, wonder why anyone
would use anything but DOT 5 in this application.

Recently, I re-did the brakes on my "new to me" D that had been sitting
for 6-7 years with DOT 4 before I bought the car and re-did the brakes.
   The fluid looked like a cement mixer drink tastes going down and a
couple of the flexible lines were so plugged they could not be
unplugged with 140 psi air. What a contrast to my DOT 5 storage
experience!

I have not noticed any difference in performance between the two
fluids, but for reliable, long-term braking performance, I'll stick to
DOT 5.

Woody

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!