Re: [DML] Not so stainless?? HELP!

Tom,
It looks to me like it was caused by some chemical? Have you tried a good carb. cleaner and a toothbrush? Then I would suggest a commercial SS cleaner. For really good cleaning you can get a scotch pad at a paint store that is the same as the one that came in the kit with the car originally. Be sure to use it in one direction with the grain.

Chris
6301

Tom <tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've uploaded some pictures of my car. Actually, some closeup views of my
'not so stanless' steel. Go to the photo section on Yahoo to view them. Can
anyone tell me what to do with it? It looks like my car is developing some
nasty skin condition that looks like chicken pox. It looks awful! I did NOT
use steel wool or anything like that on the car, ever. But I don't know what
the PO might have done to it in the past. I have had this car for over a
year now and the panels were never perfect - I always had few spots here and
there, but never this much. What is going on? Do I have to regrain the
entire car? Will that help?
Those spots are not coming off when washing. The car was still wet in parts
when I tooks those pics.
Can somebody tell me the grit of the sand paper used on the flapper wheel? I
know that everyone says 60 grit, but that is true in the US. The 60 grit in
Europe is much finer. Does anyone know the EU equivalent?

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out with my transmission problem.
Although the problem still exists I appreciate your help. I am using fully
sythetic gear oil but it doesn't help any. I will soon start a complete
restoration of my car and I'll take care of that then. Right now the temps
are back to more normal (above freezing) range and the problem is much less
apparent.

Thank you in advance
Tom Niemczewski
jamesik@xxxxx