[DML] Re: The EARLY Deloreans

Production started @ serial # 500. But just because a # starts that
high, doesn't mean that anything existed before it. Much in the same
fashion that P.T. Barnum, and other circus' would give their wagons,
and equipment higher #'s, when they painted them on the side. It gave
the appearance that the show was much bigger than it really was. And
in the same way, it makes people go, "Wow, that DeLorean Motor
Company. They crash tested, and practiced on over 499 DMC-12s before
the production run, just to make certain they got their product
right!" Obviously, neither is true.

What happened to these cars in question? They're probably locked up
by some hardcore collectors, who purchased them at various
liquidation sales. What more can you say? Hell, the prototype car was
over the hill from Las Vegas for MANY years, and no one knew about
it. Dusty garages, sealed storage units, forgotten barns. Many cars
are hidden, and will hopefully one day be found when someone
discovers them. Like buried treasure that no one made a map for, and
anyone who knew about it is now dead. It will just take some time for
them to surface.

Now, just like many corporations that provide company cars to higher
up employees, these vehicles most likely would have been reassigned
to various employees as they left, and joined the company. And in
turn would have been disposed of thru some sort of sale/donation,
when the new models were put into production. No, DeLorean Motor
Company would not have been able to dispose of these cars in question
via the dealership network. After all, that is reserved for *New*
cars only. However, there is no law stating that a company isn't able
to liquidate used vehicles from it's >>>fleet<<<.

So once again, these are NOT pre-production vehicles. And there is
absolutely nothing to indicate that anything in these vehicles
production and assembly process dictates that were not meant for
consumer usage, nor were intended to be destroyed. If these cars
consumed components that were used durring the training process, that
still doesn't mean/justify a thing, since these cars were products of
an up and running production line, as they were stamped with VIN
plates. Exclusion from the dealer distribution network does NOT mean
pre-production!

As for vehicles such as VIN 502, it too is nothing more than a
production run vehicle that was excluded from the dealer distribution
network for. Whatever it's purpose was meant to be doesn't matter.
It's still a production vehicle! DMCL had no hand in these vehicles
assignments whatsoever.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@xxxx> wrote:

> I maybe totally wrong,as I have no "direct proof" I am basing it on
> a article written in the DW magazine,back in 1987,when this type of
> info was easier to gather,
> I am just assumeing
<SNIP>