Re: [DML] Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

Re: [DML] Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

We bought a few ARO tools during the years I worked for Ford. My guess is
the distributor that supplied these to DeLorean re-geared them with gears
from another tool to achieve the desired speed. Aro made everything from air
feed drills to air logic controls. The company has changed ownership a few
times since 1981 and the parent company now has moved ARO from it's old home
town of Bryan, Ohio. I'm not sure where they're located now. Many times we'd
have a specific need for something not offered in catalogs and the local
distributor would modify a tool and stamp something that would signify to us
and the distributor what was changed. Actually any air tool with a chuck
capable of holding the flap sander head could be used. Just reducing the air
pressure to produce the desired RPM's is all that's necessary. High speeds
will produce a too smooth, too shinny surface and too slow will produce the
opposite. It just takes some experimenting.

Bruce Benson