RE: [DML] Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

RE: [DML] Proto 1 Looking for flap sander

Hi Tony

Flap Wheel, Stainless Steel Grainer

I have pulled out all the original details on the Grainer which I had to get
to take out some nasty marks out of my Delorean. It is not a domestic type
flap wheel, but a industrial piece of equipment which attaches to the end of
a drill. The Grainer is about 150 mm in diameter and the cutting width is
approx 40 mm.

The unit weighs about 1.3 kilos when assembled. There are 12 abrasive strips
together with  brush backing. The abrasive strips are replaceable as are the
brushes. The abrasive strips are split through the length or can be solid. I
have used the slit ones.

The abrasive I used was a 60 grit but range from 60 through to 180 possibly
320.

The cost of the complete item when I bought mine was about £200 (the main
cost is the grainer itself) this includes a full set of abrasives strips and
brushes together with a shaft that is required that fits on the unit as
well.

If and may be a few others are interested I then will see about getting a
batch specially made. The company that made them lost out and were owed
quite a lot of money when things went wrong, but are interested from a
historic point of view and the original people involved have retired long
since.

Regards
Kevin