[DML] Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)

[DML] Re: Need help (Electrical Failure Starting A Fire)

The underlying purpose of my last post was to point out that the
electrical system can't be ignored. With some preventitive
maintainence and a few upgrades it can be made safe and reliable. Even
then it needs constant watching. On too many occasions I have shown
the fuse area to owners and they comment "I didn't even know that was
there!". I have seen a fan fail bypass melt down. We all have seen a
melted out #7 fuse. I agree that some of the problems are "self
induced" meaning that with a minimal amount of attention they could
have been prevented. IMHO the wiring of the Delorean was minimalist at
best. Now with 20 + years of neglect it needs to have some attention
to keep it working. The upgrades you and other vendors provide are
fancy Band-Aids for a poorly designed system. I don't have an argument
with Band-Aids. They serve a valuable purpose. No one is going to rip
out a functioning electrical system to rewire the car. It is just that
whether you admit it or not the wiring system (on a system level) is
less than optimum. Add to that age related deterioration and previous
owner wiring mods and you have a recipe for failure. I still see cars
riding on the origional fan fail relay and the OE door lock module and
these people are not driving a concours queen! By warning readers on
the List it can only help your (and other vendor's) business by
getting owners to upgrade the wiring system. No one wants to hear
about another car melted down. If the wiring system in a Delorean is
not maintained and upgraded then IMHO it IS a "basket case". I don't
see these kinds of problems on other old cars except the ones from the
UK. You generally find the name Lucas on some of the electrical parts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@xxxx> wrote:

> David,
> With all due respect, you make the electrical system sound like a total
> basket case. Yes it has a few problems but some of them are self
induced.