Re: [DML] Re: HID Lights

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you about HID lamps.

There are regulations on how "bright" (lumens measure how much light a
light source produces) a headlamp can output. HID just require fewer
watts to operate at the same light output as halogen. Hence, they are
cooler to the touch.(http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html)
This is why HID operate at 35 watts or so, and halogen at 55 watts.

I really hate diss'in HID, but have you ever looked at oncoming
traffic with HID lights? The glare is so bad, it makes you want to
take a little hammer and smash the lights to bits. Reading the article
is enlightening about light. I strongly suggest people read about what
HID is, and not just rely on what pictures show (from manufactures who
are trying to sell the latest fad) or what appears "brighter". Good
halogen headlamps cannot be beat.

Instead of putting a HID system in the car, I would say that getting
some really good H4 lamps (i.e. from Cibié), which would actually have
a much better beam pattern than HID lamps, and consequently not only
be safer, but enable you to actually see more of whats in front of
you, not just make what is there brighter. (technically, not brighter,
but just whiter...)

Nathan

I'll be quiet now about my passion of HID lamps.