[DML] Re: 3 post idle microswitch

What I meant was that he shouldn't worry about where to connect the
wires. As long as he used the common terminal for one of the wires he
will figure out which other terminal to use. Obviously it has to be
either the NO or the NC terminal (I wasn't going to make it so easy
for him). If he took 5 minutes with a multi-meter he wouldn't have had
to post the question in the first place. Sometimes giving the direct
answer is not the "best" answer. Anyone working on a car (including
Deloreans) ought to get to know a multi-meter and how to use it. Then
maybe he might be able to tell if the old switch was really bad before
he ordered another one. You are correct that it is a simple single
pole double throw switch electrically and it should be wired to the NO
terminal and the common. In any case he should check the old one and
after installing the new one it too should be checked. Sometimes even
when a micro clicks and you think it tripped inside it may be bad and
not make contact. The only way to know is with a multi-meter. One of
the causes of a bad micro is hitting the switch too hard with an
out-of-adjustment screw. It should just trip the switch and then maybe
a 1/4 turn more. Another cause is tightening the hold-down screws that
fasten the switch to the bracket too tightly. This type of micro is
rated for cycling in the millions, they generally last a long time if
installed properly ( they do fail though but not frequently).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757