Re: [DML] RUSTED FRAMES

In a message dated 1/19/2005 12:03:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wizard@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

With all  this talk about replacing / swapping frames, can anyone (with
experience) tell  us how difficult and time consuming it is?  Day, weekend, week,
month  job?  One, two, three, four man job?  Lift or no lift  required?

It all depends on what you have
if you do as Josh did
and I will say Josh did a complete frame swap without ever having done one
before in about 5 weeks
It could have been done in a weekend but as was stated by Dave they got  into
it and decided to do it right and replaced all the parts.

We did not have a lift but it does take a few times to use at least 5  people
to move things.

While the engine was out it got cleaned and on and on but the car looked  new
on the bottom when done.

One note
We (Josh) has parts that I have had sandblasted clean and painted so that  if
you want to do your car we would swap  you (plus the cost to clean) the
clean parts for your dirty ones so you can just go right to rebuild.  this
includes the pipes springs etc,

Call Josh for that stuff (plug for Josh)

But bottom line is it was done by someone that had not done it  before.  BUT
if you have no mechanical ability or never have done  a job like this I would
get a lot of help.
You need at least one person there from a safety standpoint that KNOWS what
they are doing.  It is too dangerous to do if you do not know the  dangers.
It is heavy and can fall on  you.

Josh learned by taking apart a few DeLoreans like the fire car and a  scrap
car so he this was his next step.

But frame swaps are not impossible.

But from the sound of this thread all you need is a crumple zone unless you
show us more damage.

Ken